Saturday, April 5, 2014

Prayer to Live in the Present

God,
I spend so much time reliving yesterday
or anticipating tomorrow
that I lose sight of the only time
that is really mine - the present.
Remind me that the past - with its
successes
and failures - is over.
I can make amends where I have hurt
others
or let them down.
But I can't undo what has been done.
The future is yet to be
and eagerness or apprehension
will not hasten it - or postpone it.
You give me today, one minute at a
time.
That's all I have - all I ever will.
Give me the faith that knows that each
moment
contains exactly what is best for me.
Give me the hope that trusts You
enough to
forget past sins and future trials.
Give me the love that makes each
minute of
life an anticipation of eternity with You.
Amen.

-- Richard Armstrong, included in The Stone That Rolled Away: Living the Miracle of Easter

No comments: