Thursday, April 3, 2014

Parallels

I love, love the Old Testament.  Everywhere you look, it's filled with shadows of Jesus.  This morning's passage was no exception.  Reading in Exodus, I came across a verse about a tax collected to upkeep the Tabernacle.  Spoken by the LORD, he tells Moses:  Gather from the people of Israel this money paid to buy back their lives, and spend it on things for the service in the Meeting Tent.  This payment will remind the LORD that the Israelites' lives have been bought back. (Exodus 30:16)

I knew immediately what I wanted to record in my thanksgiving journal about that passage.  For upon reading the verse, my mind instantly jumped to the remembrance of the price that God paid for my life.  The death of His precious Son.

With a grateful heart, I turned to my next place of reading, the New Testament.  My marker was in Matthew 27 - almost the end of the book - and as I began reading, I had to smile.  Why?  Matthew 27 is the chapter which contains the account of Jesus' death on the cross.  It's all about the payment that God used to buy back my life.  Coincidence?  Hardly.  I can't tell you the number of times that my reading for the day in the Old Testament perfectly paralleled the chapter in the New Testament.

Yet another evidence of our personal, loving, perfect God.

No comments: