Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ben's Birthday




(Photos by Eli)

Last week Ben turned 17. Over breakfast I told the story again.

Of how I looked like I had swallowed a beachball when I carried him.

Of how we got to see the amazing ultrasound of his profile right before delivery to see if he had turned out of the breech position. He hadn't. I enjoy telling him that he was stubborn from the start. His brothers seem to like that, too.

Of how I felt when it finally dawned on me that he was mine, that I was responsible for him, that I had to take him home and take care of him.

Of his chubby, chubby cheeks and how he was dubbed Baby Ben right away by his great-grandmother.

I know that I've been paying attention, so when did Baby Ben become Big Ben? When did my baby grow into a man?

No comments: