Saturday, July 5, 2014

Splendid Raspberry Vinegar

I recently came across a luscious-sounding recipe for Raspberry Fruit Dressing in one of my herbals.  Besides raspberry jam, it also calls for raspberry vinegar.  With a nice-sized patch of black raspberries in season, I set aside a pint or two to try my hand at the vinegar yesterday.  It takes six weeks to "cure," so I'll let you know how it turns out then.  And to add to my joy, God provided a fancy soda pop bottle with a cork at a local thrift shop just this morning for the finished product.

Splendid Raspberry Vinegar

Gently wash fresh raspberries and drain them in a colander (about a pint and a half).  Loosely fill a 1-quart Mason jar with raspberries to within 2 inches of the top.  Heat white vinegar until the first bubbles appear, and add it to the raspberries until the jar is filled.  Cover the jar with a double thickness of plastic wrap (to prevent acid build-up and rust from the metal top) and screw on the top.  Store the jar in a dark, cool place for 6 weeks.  Strain the vinegar through a tea strainer lined with a coffee filter, pour it into a fresh bottle, insert a cork and label. 

No comments: