Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Book Review of Unbroken

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand is definitely a page-turner.  The author is an excellent storyteller and weaves well this astounding tale of Louis Zamperini - Olympic runner, tortured soldier, and child of the King.

Zamperini was a runner in more ways than one and spent much of his life fleeing from unrest, a lack of peace, authority, and himself.  Most of the book is set during the time period of World War II and recounts the amazing resilience of this man as a POW in Japan who persevered through incredible cruelty and hardship.

I will warn you.  In many ways, this book is not an easy one to read.  Though not excessively graphic (but plenty for me), the brutality this man (and so many others) endured is hard to process.  On the other side of it, I'm so glad that I read it because the ending is so worth it.  The account of Louis' final surrender and redemption (under the tent preaching of a young Billy Graham, no less) made me want to stand up and cheer.  In fact, I found myself praising God for the incredible work He did in the life of Louis Zamperini.  Read and be blessed.

No comments: