Friday, March 14, 2014

REMEMBER: Who Butters Your Bread

And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth.  But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant, which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day. - Deuteronomy 8:17-18

It's a simple yet important thing to remember who butters my bread.  Ultimately, it's not my husband's company or my bank account or my own two hands.  All that I have comes from Him.  Actually, there is much more comfort in being able to trust the Author, Owner, and Sustainer of All Things for provision instead of in things that fluctuate from day to day.  This reminder can also be applied to spiritual riches.  Ephesians 1 waxes eloquent about all the amazing spiritual gifts we've been given.  How rich I am!  How rich you are!

He giveth thee power to get wealth, not so much to gratify thee, and make thee easy, as that he may establish his covenant.  All God's gifts are in pursuance of his promises. -- Matthew Henry

No comments: