Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The New Pink Azalea Cake

As all my children are of the male variety, there has never been a pink cake in our house . . . until now.


A few months ago, when looking through the Cakes section of Mom's 1950's Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book, I spied a Pink Azalea Cake.  At that moment the idea for a pink cake for my birthday was born.  A few weeks later, when stocking up on cake mixes that were on sale, I saw that they had Cherry Chip cake mix.  Perfect as the foundation for a New Pink Azalea Cake.



Adapting a White Butter Icing recipe, also from Mom's cookbook, I tinted it with a bit of red food gel and out came a lovely pink cake.  Rainbow-colored sprinkles and candles put it over the top.  And with the deliciously light cherry flavor, I just might have to make a pink cake every year. . .






White Butter Icing

4 C. 10x sugar
6 tabl. of butter-flavored Crisco
5 tabl. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Blend well in a mixer; add a drop or two of food gel for desired hue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sitting at work (took a little break for myself) and, boy, does that cake look good. It would go nicely with a cup of lemon ginger tea (which I am going to make.

Sandy