Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Book Review of Sister Wendy's Book of Meditations

Sister Wendy's Book of Meditations is a little resource that I used this winter during my devotional time in the mornings.  Each page contains a work of art, along with a short meditation on one of four themes - Silence, Peace, Love and Joy.  My favorite paintings were of the old masters, and I loved enjoyed exploring the details and intricate beauty of the works.  Some of the pieces had me in awe of the artistic gifts given to mankind by God - the ability to capture a look, paint a muscle that looks like the genuine article, and create the folds of a robe with a paintbrush are truly amazing.  And though not a fan of modern art, I could appreciate some of the many insights that Sister Wendy pulled out of the works and wove into her short meditations.  The power of great art to provide insight into spiritual themes - an excellent idea!

No comments: