Thursday, December 20, 2012

Cookies & Coffee

I was given an unexpected hostess gift this week.

Tuesday evening we invited a few neighbors over - to see our tree, to have Christmas cookies and coffee together.  They came - a widow and a couple, all in their '70s, people that we have sought to cultivate a relationship with over the last few years.

Before they came, I perused my vintage party/ entertaining books for an activity or entertainment of some kind to add to the gathering.  Something I like to do to add that extra little measure of goodness to the night - something to bless my guests with that will add to their memories of their time here.  I couldn't come up with anything.

Turns out I didn't need to.  After greetings, the guys camped out in the kitchen with mugs and cookies and man talk.  We ladies took the living room.  Then the fun began.  Those two ladies laughed and caught up, laughed and teased one another, laughed and had me in stitches.  They had a glorious time on that sofa.  Eventually my boys ambled in - one by one - to discover what was so funny.  Afterwhile, M. and our gentleman guest came in to find out how many eggs had been laid after all the cackling.

After they left and I lay in bed contemplating the evening, I had to chuckle.  I typically have a vision, an idea of how an evening will play out.  This one was totally different from my imaginings!  But it was even better, because I realized that I was the one for whom that extra little measure of goodness had been added that evening.  The gift of laughter was the blessing, the hostess gift, that my guests had given me.

No comments: