Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Carnival!

For my mother-in-law's last day of full-time volunteering at the Home, she threw a carnival for the residents. The boys and I, along with friends and some cousins, drove out to help her pull it off. The kids manned the stands - the face-painting station, carnival games and popcorn cart.

My friend and I, along with other volunteers, helped in the kitchen. Gail's plan was to give the residents a special lunch of fair food:

* Grilled Sausage Sandwiches with Sauteed Peppers & Onions
* Homemade French Fries
* Oven-Baked Zucchini Sticks (the residents grew the zucchinis in their garden)
* Funnel Cakes


* Miss M. had a blast at the penny pitch - she won so many dishes they made her stop so there would be some left for the others! She also reveled in pitching water balloons at Gail - what an arm she still has.
* Mr. R. loved the music playing in the background and stood in front of the stereo for a long time swaying and directing the music. My mother-in-law danced with him later and he liked that so much he didn't want to stop.
* Miss R. enjoyed having her face painted with a butterfly and sat very still to have it done. She loves to say, "I love you!" and the face painters weren't quite sure how to respond to so much verbal affection!
* Mr. J. wanted one of the volunteers to guess how old he is. After revealing his age, he asked her, "Don't I look good?!" which had the kitchen help giggling.




I love it that on HER last day, my mother-in-law threw OTHERS a party. That is so like her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How very special ...for all of you! It is wonderful to see your children participating and helping.