Monday, June 28, 2010

Stimulating Conversation

I love Sundays. And one thing that makes Sundays special are the visits from my sister-in-law and her two boys from their home 45 minutes away. They come down most Sundays to visit with M.'s grandmother - and usually spend some time with other family members as well. I love their visits because my boys take such delight in spending time with their cousins, and I take such delight in the talks I have with Ang. We rarely talk of the weather - huddled in a corner somewhere, our conversations are almost always meaty right from the start. Full of protein, of life, of things that force me to continually climb out of my box and view things from different angles. Do Ang and I agree on everything? Of course not. (Who does?) But, though our minds may not always agree, our hearts do (my new favorite phrase). They agree on the One Who makes our hearts beat and our souls mesh.

Yesterday we wrestled with a variety of issues which led in a circle from one thing back to another. The limited medium of blogs and their inability to convey more than two-dimensional conversation - their lack in seeing the communicator's face and body language, hear their tone, physically touch while sharing. The vulnerability there is in the act of putting words, thoughts on paper for others to read. The fear of being misunderstood, creating discontent in the heart of another, setting up an issue for someone. To what degree we are our brother's keeper. To what degree we can "fix" things or figure things out or analyze. And how we're to love others and to what point, with what purpose do we/can we do that.

Did we solve the problems of the world with our conversation? Definitely not. Did we solve our own problems with our conversation? Not in a specific, concrete way. But these conversations foster a humility within me. Reminding me that there are big issues for a big God to deal with. I could be overwhelmed by the fact that our questions and comments and revelations didn't "fix" the things we struggle with, but I'm not. Because every struggle, question, rabbit trail leads me back to Him - with a thankfulness that there is One who knows all and understands all. For He is God, and I am not. And, honestly, I'm quite fine with that fact.

Thanks, once again, A., for the stimulating conversation.

No comments: