Thursday, December 10, 2009

Soap Success


Three weeks ago, Eli and I set aside an afternoon to make homemade cinnamon-scented soap. With detailed instructions written out by my friend, Terry, we took the plunge. All went well except that when I poured it into the mold, something wasn't right with the way I had tucked the freezer paper into the mold. The soap leaked down into the mold between the folds of paper. Ahhh! We improvised and just pulled the paper out. After curing for three weeks, I had to cut the bars out of the mold instead of being able to just lift the papered soap out of the mold. It was a little messy, but they came out - and I think quite well, too! I wrapped them up for Christmas the other evening and have plans to make a batch of lavendar-scented hearts for Valentine's Day . . .

3 comments:

Patty said...

So cute. What a neat idea for Christmas gifts. I've really got to try making some soap ~ it's been in my mind ~ hasn't gotten to the hands though.

Patti said...

Oh, Julie, they look beautiful. Is soap-making hard? I've often thought about trying to do it, as I use natural soaps...and they cost about $3.99 a bar. If I could make some natural stuff for cheaper that would be great.

Is your friend's "recipe" secret? Or are you willing to share?

Thanks so much,
Patti

Julie said...

Thanks for your comments, ladies!

Patti - Would you please e-mail me? I can't remember what your e-mail address is. Thanks - Julie