Friday, June 27, 2008

Puddin'














Every summer my grandfather, sister and I would set out into the woods behind our home to pick wild raspberries. After we had a few buckets full, we presented them to my grandmother who would turn them into raspberry puddin'. I always loved (and still do!) how the puddin' turns the milk we pour over it a lovely shade of lavendar. In my grandmother's recipe below, you'll see that the puddin' can be made with raspberries or cherries which is pictured above - I made raspberry last week. : )

Raspberry or Cherry Puddin'
1 egg
3/4 C. sugar
1 tabl. melted butter
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 C. sour milk (make sour milk by placing 1 tabl. of vinegar in your 1 C. measure and adding enough milk to make 1 cup)
2 C. flour
Beat egg and then add sugar. Mix well and stir in melted butter. Dissolve baking soda in the sour milk, then add milk to batter alternating with flour. Fold in 1 qt. of raspberries or pitted cherries. Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake for 45 minutes at 350. (You don't need to use a mixer for this recipe - just beat it up by hand.)

2 comments:

fourkid said...

Hi Julie,
I had some cherries left that I had to use up and saw your recipe - so I made it this evening. It was very good. I used a bit more butter than the 1TBL. I liked the soured milk. This was similar to what we call cobbler, I think. I made blueberry cobble last night - and cherry tonight. Can you believe I have two children that won't eat a cobbler? Oh well, more for me and Dh.

We ate it warm with a dab of ice cream on it tonight. I often have some at breakfst on the next day too, along with my Roma (a coffee substitute.)

Thanks for sharing this recipe - it was delicious.
Patti

Anonymous said...

Hi, Patti!

So glad you enjoyed this recipe! I'll have to try it with a dab of ice cream sometime - sounds yummy! Only one of my sons will eat this, so I end up sharing it with my mom and grandparents which they're quite happy about -

Have a great day!
Julie