Thursday, June 26, 2008

How to Stay Out of the Lion's Mouth














(Photo by Eli)

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen."

-- II Peter 5:8-11

I was nearly killed when the lion tried to devour me. But God pulled me from the mouth of the lion and tended to my wounds.

How not to be eaten again?

* vs. 8 - Be sober/be vigilant - PAY ATTENTION! Remember that the roaring lion is not a little pussycat to be played with. He seeks to devour me. My heart and mind need to be focused and looking for Truth, sorting out lies.

* vs. 9 - Resist him - Turn from evil quickly. Don't entertain the snake/lion even for a moment (Genesis 3). DON'T PLAY WITH SIN!

* vs. 9 - Remain steadfast in the faith - Stay near Christ, close to the Word, prayer/reading/studying/memorizing faithfully and diligently every day for my own protecton. It's SO much easier to sin if I am not diligent in this!

* vs. 10 - Remember that the God of all grace is far mightier than the roaring lion. God has Satan on a leash. Trust in God's strength/peace/provision/protection. Remember that God WILL help me - I can't do it on my own strength but must walk in obedience to Him.

Abba, help me to be sober, resistant, and steadfast. Help me to remember Your great might, strength and wisdom. Help me to stay out of the lion's mouth.

No comments: