Friday, August 12, 2011

A Living Sacrifice

“Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual (reasonable, logical) act of worship.” – Romans 12:1

What does it mean to be a living sacrifice?

Sacrifices were:

• commanded by God
• to be given with a willing heart
• consumed by God, for God
• a sweet aroma to Him
• broken into parts, small pieces as it were, each piece offered up according to instruction
• used for the cleansing of the people
• a constant reminder that He was (and is) God, holy and worthy of sacrifice
• something that required much time, energy and preparation

In essence, all these things can be applied to my life. Though I am not physically offered up as a sacrifice, I am to be offered up in all other ways as a sacrifice. It is commanded by God; I am to give my life with a willing, humble heart; my life is consumed by and for God; it is a sweet aroma to Him; I am offered up piece by piece, little by little, decision by decision; it is for spiritual cleansing; reminds me continually of God; and requires much time, energy and preparation every moment of every day.

After the sacrifice He has made, how can I give any less?

“God’s call to lay down our lives on the altar of sacrifice means that we give Him all that we are – our rights, our reputation, our desires, our future plans; everything that concerns us – first, for a lifetime, and then, day by day, moment by moment, decision by decision.” – Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Surrender

No comments: