Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Learning From Eleanor Roosevelt


Eleanor Roosevelt lacked a formal education. Concerned about her perceived deficiency, she made a game of learning by talking with people. She wrote, “After awhile I had acquired a certain technique for picking their brains. It was not only great fun but I began to get an insight into many subjects I could not possibly have learned about in any other way. And, best of all, I discovered vast fields of knowledge and experience that I had hardly guessed existed.”

. . . Following the example of Roosevelt, we can expand and deepen our thought life via interested and enthusiastic conversation. We can be prepared to meet people with questions and thoughts of our own to share. We can learn what others are doing, thinking about, and reading and find out where they’ve been and where they’re going.

-- Just Think – Nourish Your Mind to Feed Your Soul by Nancy J. Nordenson

(Photo: My favorite activity at the cabin - reading on the front porch)

No comments: