Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Are You Making Excuses?

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. -- Romans 12:21

Many of us see things about ourselves that we wish were different or we know aren't pleasing to God.  But rather than accept personal responsibility for our own choices, attitudes, and behavior, we have 101 reasons for why we are the way we are.

* "Our house is so tiny, everything gets on my nerves."

* "My job is stressful.  I can't help being irritable with my family when I get home."

* "I'm so exhausted, I just can't function."

* "My parents never affirmed me, and I've never been able to feel loved."

But God doesn't call us to make excuses.  Instead, here's what He does call us to:

Love one another with brotherly affection.  Outdo one another in showing honor.  Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord . . . Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.  (Rom. 12:10-17).

You can make excuses for your actions, or you can rely on God's power and obey Him.  Which will you choose today?

-- Nancy Leigh DeMoss, October 2014 Daily Reflections

No comments: