Wednesday, January 29, 2014

From the Cookie Press: Almond Hearts

Some of the Valentines Mom and I made -
Last Friday evening was our annual Valentine-making gathering.  My sister, my mother, a friend of her's and I spent the evening sharing a light supper and making Valentines together.  Mom and her friend prepared heart-shaped sandwiches of ham and chicken salad, macaroni salad, baked beans and fruit that afternoon.  My contribution was dessert - Chocolate Cherry Cups (recipe coming later) and a plate of Almond Hearts made with the vintage cookie press Mom gave me for Christmas.  I had a blast using that thing to make the cookies - mix up your dough, stuff it in the tube, turn the knob and out oozes perfect little hearts! 

Perfect with a cup of tea!

Almond Hearts (you could use any of the shapes that come with a press)

1/2 C. butter
1/4 C. sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/4 C. flour

One of Jenna's gorgeous creations -






Cream the butter.  Gradually add in the sugar, then the egg and extract.  Add the flour.  Fill the press and form cookies on ungreased baking sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes at 375.  Makes about 25.

I added a dollop of icing and sprinkles to make them more festive:
4 tabl. butter-flavored Crisco
1 C. confectioner's sugar
1-2 tabl. water
Mix together the Crisco and sugar.  Add enough water until of desired consistency.

No comments: