Friday, December 6, 2013

The Christmas Basket


For the last few years, my sister has taken to giving me a Christmas Basket.  She gathers items through the year and then rearranges them in some sort of lovely container.  The first year she did it, I nearly cried upon seeing it - the artistry with which she put it together, the love she so obviously lavished in choosing just the perfect little things that suited so well nearly undid me.  Jenna assured me that she had as much joy putting it together as I did receiving it.  So last year, I decided to surprise her with a Christmas Basket.  All year I kept my eyes open for goodies that spoke to me of her - a peacock plate from a little antique shop, an old book of botanical flower prints from a hole-in-the-wall, beautiful glittered fruit hidden in the corner of the mission store.  And after I put it all together, I knew that she really did have as much joy in the giving, as I did in the receiving.

No comments: