Thursday, July 25, 2013

Latest Library Run

I'm in the midst of stockpiling library books for our upcoming vacation.  Since I can only order two books at a time to be delivered to our little library, I decided to make a trip to a larger institution a few towns away.  That way, I can pick up a big pile at one time and fill in with the piddly little library orders.  If it seems like a huge list for just a week's vacation, it is.  But because I've been blessed with a mind that can read so quickly, I go through books like wildfire (now doing math equations rapidly is a whole different story).  The trick will be to keep my hands off the pile until vacation.  Yah, right.

I like to alternate between fiction and non-fiction.  You know, read one fiction and then one non-fiction, back and forth.  Since I'm a little low on non-fiction titles, that's what I'll be ordering from the library next.  Knowing how much I love it when others share titles, thought maybe I'd share the pile here with you:


Fiction:
Kilmeny of the Orchard by L. M. Montgomery
Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery
The Secret of Red Gate Farm by Carolyn Keene
The Whispering Statue by Carolyn Keene
A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter
Gossip from Thrush Green by Miss Read
Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney

Non-Fiction:
Mrs. Lincoln and Mrs. Keckly - The Remarkable Story of the Friendship Between a First Lady and a Former Slave by Jennifer Fleischner
The Small Woman by Alan Burgess
The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey
Money Secrets of the Amish - Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving by Lorilee Craker
What is a Family? by Edith Schaeffer (on hold)
A Year in the Village of Eternity: The Lifestyle of Longevity in Campodimele, Italy by Tracey Lawson (on hold)

Book on CD (for M. and I to listen to on our trip):
The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt & The Fire That Saved America by Timothy Egan

2 comments:

Olivia said...

I love your fiction list!!! I'm so surprised to see blue-spined Nancy's still in circulation. My kids and I have been on a Nancy binge this summer--we check out the ones we don't own and we get 4 reads before returning them. My oldest daughter will be reading LM Montgomery this year, such good memories from when I read them years ago.

Thank you for your wonderful posts. I enjoy following you.

You might enjoy my Nancy Drew purse I made. I'm working on a reading quilt too. http://www.knitscrapstitch.blogspot.com/2013/06/nancy-drew-bags.html?m=1

Julie said...

It's funny you mentioned the blue-spined editions, Olivia. When I was at the library, my fingers went right past the more current paperback Nancy's. I like to read the oldest editions of her that I can get! Come summertime I usually get a hankerin' to read a Nancy Drew or two - I guess it's a left-over from my girlhood summers. As for L.M. Montgomery, I didn't enjoy her work as a kid. I found them too descriptive. Now it's just the opposite - that's exactly what I love most about her stories!

I LOVE your Nancy Drew bags!! Both of the fabrics are just perfect! (And the beach outfit fabric is sweet, too.) Thanks so much for sharing -