Monday, May 20, 2013

Light & Darkness

Why should we always want a light?  He chose darkness for us, darkness of the womb and of the stable, darkness in the garden, darkness on the cross and in the grave.  Why do I demand certainty?  That is not faith.  Why do I want to understand?  How can I understand this great web of sin and ugliness and love and suffering and joy and life and death when I don't understand the little tangle of good and evil that is myself?  I've enough to understand.  I understand that He gave me light that I might turn to Him, for without light I could not have seen to turn.  I have seen creation in His light.  He shared His light with me that I, turned, might share with Him the darkness of His redemption.  Why did I despair?  What do I want?  If it is Him that I want He is here, not only love in light illuming all that He had made but love in darkness dying for it . . .

-- Elizabeth Goudge, The Dean's Watch

No comments: