Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Book Review of The Creative Habit

Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life is so jam-packed full of fascinating things to think on that I find it a bit overwhelming to write a short summary of the book!

Most importantly, The Creative Habit is a reminder that creativity shows up every day in all aspects and walks of life.  As indicated by the title, the book deals with different avenues to making creativity a habit, to learning how to prepare to be creative.  The author writes about specific ways in which to do just that, such as: harnessing your memory, digging for ideas through a process called scratching, working through ruts and grooves within your creative endeavors, developing an organizational system for your creativity, making failure work for you, and much more.  (So much more in fact that there must be 30 post-it tabs sticking in the book's pages of things I want to go back to, write down and/or ponder further!)

I thoroughly enjoyed The Creative Habit for many reasons.  First of all, I find the creative process fascinating, and this book provided much insight into that process from a dancer/choreographer's perspective.  I haven't read much about the art of dance, and so I found the terminology and examples regarding it interesting.  The mental and/or physical exercises that are provided at the end of each chapter are intriguing as well.  Even if I choose never to engage in one of them, reading them alone gave much food for thought.

All that to say that the number one reason I enjoyed the book was that it provided an abundance of themes to think on that I hadn't thought on before.  Even more so, it helped me realize that there is so much more out there to look for, engage with, take in and develop.  It's an exciting prospect to grow and hone the magnificent creativity that the Creator has placed within each heart.

No comments: