Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Spending Seuss Day at the Seussical

Appropriately, Eli and I spent Dr. Seuss' birthday at a performance of Seussical: The Musical at the local high schoolThe musical combined various Seuss tales and characters into one clever story.  It certainly brought back lots of fun memories of all the Dr. Seuss books that I read to the boys when they were little.   

One of the main characters was Horton the Elephant, of Horton Hatches the Egg fame.  In that book and in the musical, Horton frequently quotes a line that becomes his mantra and are some of my favorite words that Dr. Seuss ever wrote:  "I meant what I said and I said what I meant - An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent!"

I would often quote that line to the boys as they were growing.  It was important to me to implant in them a strong sense of integrity - to be men of their word.  That Horton the Elephant would proclaim his insistent faithfulness over keeping a promise in their Seuss storybook gave even more credence to the teaching.

Thanks, Dr. Seuss, for using Horton to help teach my boys about the wisdom of keeping their word.

No comments: