Monday, December 3, 2012

Heart Pondering with Mary

"But what difference does that make in the life of an ordinary man or woman?  (This is the question I am always asking myself as I read the Bible or books about the Bible, as I hear a spiritual talk or as I try to talk to others about spiritual things: what difference ought this to make in the way I live?" -- Elisabeth Elliot, A Path Through Suffering
In an attempt to put into practice the above words of wisdom during yesterday's worship service, I developed a few questions from the morning's message to reflect on.  The message was entitled, "Mary Pondered Them in Her Heart" based on Luke 2:19: "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart."  Our brother mentioned five areas in which Mary might have spent time reflecting upon throughout her life based on various Scripture passages that speak of her.  He spoke about her faith, her purity, her motherly concern for Jesus, her grief and her joy.  As he spoke on each of these areas, questions of application to my own life began to emerge.  I share them here in case others might like to use them to ponder in your own heart this Advent season.

Luke 1:37 - "For with God nothing shall be impossible." -- What am I believing to be impossible?

Luke 1:38 - "And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word." -- Where do I need to say, "be it unto me according to thy word"?

Luke 2:27 - "And he (Simeon) came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law" -- Where am I hesitating instead of obeying?

John 19:26-27 - "When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!  Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother!  And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home." -- Do I believe that where He calls, He provides?

Acts 1:14 - "These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren." -- Am I choosing joy even when things don't work out the way I thought they would or wanted them to?

No comments: