Friday, December 28, 2012

A Book Review of Your God is Too Safe

 
Your God is Too Safe – Rediscovering the Wonder of a God You Can’t Control by Mark Buchanan is a book that I have quoted from, rejoiced in, and pondered over.  And it is a book that has challenged, encouraged and convicted my heart in relation to my perspective of God – a God Whom I have often relegated to a very small box in my mind. 

The book is divided into two parts.  Life in Borderland focuses on our tendencies to reduce God to Someone a bit more manageable.  And how pride, guilt and fear (among other things) keep us from experiencing life abundant.  The second part, Life in the Holy Wild, shares some holy habits that will help cultivate a heart for the incredible journey of faith that God desires for each of us.

I love Mr. Buchanan’s writing style – it reminds me a bit of Ann Voskamp’s One Thousand Gifts.  His words and stories cut to the heart, weave encouragement with grace, and shed fresh light on oft-read Scripture passages.  I also appreciate his honesty and his desire to help us put in perspective the righteous, yet flawed, characters of the Bible.

I highly, highly recommend this book and hope that it helps you to discover that though our God is far from safe, He is, indeed, very, very good.

No comments: