Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Lesson from Vintage Christmas Ornaments


Well, the deed is done.  My sister and I have sorted through the last of the things that we inherited from our grandparents.  Last week one night we sorted through boxes and boxes of my grandmother's vintage Christmas ornaments.  Just opening the boxes smelled like Christmas.  We ooh-ed and aah-ed, exclaiming time and again, "Oh!  Remember this?!" 

My grandmother had quite a stash of ornaments and other Christmas decorations, as well.  That's because she was the Queen of Christmas.  She loved celebrating all the holidays, but Christmas was when she really shined.  Mammaw put decorations everywhere in their home, including the doorknobs. (One of the homemade doorknob hangers she made of rick-rack and felt will hang from my door this Christmas).  Besides decorating, she did lots of entertaining, cooking, and gift wrapping.  She loved making things special for others. 

But now, the baton passes.  My sister has become our family's Queen of Christmas.  She loves to decorate and entertain as much as Mammaw.  And just like our grandmother, Jenna's main goal in it all is to make it a special blessing for others.

I'm glad that sorting through our grandparents' things is over.  It was good but, at times, emotionally draining.  Yet, as with so many other things, God has shown me a lesson.  Though it was difficult at times to sort through the things of my childhood, I realized that it wasn't as hard as I had anticipated.  I've contemplated for many years what it would be like, expecting that there would be a struggle for me to let go of the past and close the door.  But God has used the material reminders of my grandparents to help me see that I treasure these things, but not for themselves.  The mementos I've inherited are special to me because they are reminders of people.  And yet, ultimately, I realize now that I truly don't need things to remind me of my loved ones.  God has graciously provided memories for that.  Besides that, He has whispered to me again that all will pass away but that which I send Ahead.  Things made of and for and by, Him.

And so, I'm thankful for my new, old collection of Christmas ornaments.  They will serve as a visual reminder that I am learning to cling less tightly to things of earth.  I will enjoy them, even knowing that one day they will break or be passed on to someone else or, upon His coming, be done away with.  My hope lies in the One Who will never pass away.


2 comments:

Vicki said...

Thank-you for sharing the lessons you've learned after your grandparents' passing.

Patty said...

How sweet it is to have precious memories. A good lesson for all of us ~ cling tightly to Him and loosely to the things of this world ~ thanks for sharing.