Friday, June 24, 2011

Herbs in the Windowboxes


I haven't had much success growing herbs in my flowerbeds - they only get the morning sun there and, in most cases, that's not enough. I've grown chives, mint, lemon balm and oregano but that's about it. A few months ago I read an article from my herb magazine stash about growing herbs in windowboxes. My windowboxes definitely get more sun than the beds, so instead of my usual geraniums I popped a variety of herbs in. They are doing so well! Besides the sing-song line-up of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (lemon thyme) that is, I've got basil, French tarragon, stevia and lavendar. Eli enjoys chewing on a tarragon leaf from time to time (to release the licorice flavor), Ben is going to try putting some stevia in with his meadow tea, and I've tried fresh basil on our pizza. But my favorite thing to do with the herbs is simply stand on the porch, brush my hands over them and inhale their marvelous fragrances.

No comments: