Friday, March 18, 2011

Simple Pleasures


Inspired by Gumbo Lily’s Senses post, here’s my list for the week:

I see . . .
A golden orb of moon behind the black-silhouetted woods; pussywillows on my desk from a friend; bright green algae growing in the creek; a brilliant red cardinal perched on the tip of an evergreen; a Pharisee in the mirror; the first zinnia seedlings popping up in the greenhouse; baby goats scampering, jumping and playing in the barnyard; crocuses popping up in the flower bed.

I smell . . .
Fresh granola baking; beef jerky drying over the woodstove; yeast for dough; peppermint oil in a St. Patty’s Day dessert; the goats’ milk replacer mix; a fresh spring morning.

I hear . . .
Boys playing in the “sandbox” (aka, the volleyball court); the smack of volleyball as Ben practices his serves; birdsong; the sweet cries of new goats; a mourning dove cooing on the ledge of our transom window; the sound of a huge flock of geese flying over at twilight; church bells ringing over the hill as Boots gives birth; M. complimenting me on supper; a nephew slurping spaghetti through the gap in his front teeth; the sound of windchimes on the porch.

I taste . . .
Melty chocolate chips in a chocolate cake; peppermint pie; homemade pizza; shepherd’s pie on St. Pat’s Day; homemade shamrock shakes; macaroni salad; turkey on multi-grain sandwiches for lunch.

I feel . . .
Joy over watching a tall son in a green shirt playing in a championship volleyball game; an old friend’s hug; fun during Skunk Hollow Craft Club time; peace at having a quiet afternoon that I hadn’t anticipated; laughter over God’s sense of humor in making bats hang upside down; choked up over a read-aloud book, having to have Ben finish reading it for us because of my tears; joy over being part of the “Kingdom of God” and knowing that one day I’ll be part of the “Kingdom of Heaven,” too; grace, grace, marvelous grace while writing out my testimony; praise for Lenten devotions each morning with the boys; Ben’s overwhelmed heart at discovering Truth in God’s Word; worship to You as you change my heart and give me joy in the process.

No comments: