Saturday, November 13, 2010

Notes on Genesis 22 (and My Grandmother)

I've been reading through Matthew Henry's Commentary on the book of Genesis. I came across several remarks of his on Genesis 22 - Abraham's obedience to God in sacrificing Issac - that are worth noting (and remembering):

* "God's commands must not be disputed, but obeyed; we must not consult with flesh and blood about them, but with a gracious obstinacy persist in our obedience to them."

* "Those that do the will of God heartily will do it speedily; while we delay, time is lost and the heart hardened."

* "God, by his providence, which is truly the voice of God, calls us to part with an Isaac sometimes, and we must do it with a cheerful resignation and submission to his holy will."


As a side note, it looks (for the time being) as if I will not have to part with my Isaac. My grandmother was successfully taken off the ventilator yesterday - she is breathing on her own, talking and even smiling. Her heart is still sick though, and I'm not sure where this will lead but I thank the Lord that I am blessed to enjoy my grandmother's sweet spirit a little while longer on this Earth. Thank you all so much for your notes and prayers -

1 comment:

melodys blog said...

hi you're recipes are cool could you maybe visit my blog to? that would be really cool! :]