Monday, June 7, 2010

A Built-In Herb Garden?


On Saturday morning our family headed over to the little town that I grew up in about 5 minutes from here for their 20th annual town yard sale. It's become a fun tradition for us to spend part of the day there - looking for treasures as well as catching up with various family and friends we meet along the way. My best find was a boxful of 50 issues of "The Herb Companion" magazine, spanning over 10 years. I bought it from an elderly gentleman - the magazines had been his wife's but she died from cancer and he said it hurt him too much to keep all her things. He told me that she had loved learning about and experimenting with herbs and that she had a huge herb garden which is now just getting weedy. He offered for me (a total stranger!) to come and take care of her garden. I quickly protested by saying that I was just starting to learn about herbs and that his wife's magazines would be of huge help to me. Before I left, he stuck an address label on the side of my box. Later in the day, I was sorting through the magazines and putting them away when I came across yet another treasure - a folder filled with different articles and info. she had collected about herbs. As I was reading, my sister called and I told her the story. She excitedly encouraged me to re-think the refusal of his offer by telling me what an awesome way to learn - through an already built-in herb garden! Besides that, maybe God would have me to minister to the elderly gentleman in some way. I took her words to heart and have been mulling them over. Today I drove past his house (10 minutes from mine), and the gardens definitely need some tending. Perhaps I'll see what M. says about it and, just maybe, find out if the offer still stands.

2 comments:

Candy said...

How precious is that!?!

Anonymous said...

and the boys would see another example of how blessing others usually blesses yourself as well. T