Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tea & Thrifting


My sister and I spent an incredible day together celebrating her birthday. What fun she is and what fun we had! We started this morning at a local Goodwill known for their great prices on name-brand clothing. J. and I literally filled a shopping cart full of clothes and shared a dressing room so as to critique each other's choices (we also spent a large amount of time giggling!). We had a blast trying on clothes and finding several things that suited us. I also found an old Christmas record that Julie Andrews did for a song (pardon the pun!). We were famished after all that changing, so we headed to a little tea room/bakery down the road. We both had the Tomato Rice Florentine Soup, I had the Broccoli & Bacon Quiche, J. had a Grilled Swiss, Ham & Spinach Multigrain Sandwich and we shared a pot of Vanilla Black Tea. For dessert we had Glazed Cranberry Orange Scones. Every bite of everything we ate was delicious! We spent quite a long time sipping tea and catching up. One last stop then to the Economy Store where we dug through several craft boxes looking for ribbon and embellishments to add to the the homemade Valentines that we'll get together to create in a few weeks. We found a pile of things to use as well as some books, magazines and a small wooden house that J. has plans to turn into a glittery Christmas masterpiece. On the way out we both chose a baked good item that we were encouraged to take along for free - I took big, yummy muffins and she chose a giant apple pie for her husband. What a perfect day - Happy Birthday, J.!

1 comment:

Patti said...

sounds like a lovely day, Julie!! I, too, love tearooms...and thrift stores. Not too long ago I wouldn't have been caught dead in a second-hand store (too proud!), but now I not only go in them...I love them.