Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cranberry Relish

I spent a few hours this morning out at the gym helping my church family prepare part of a huge Thanksgiving dinner that we'll enjoy together after worship tomorrow afternoon. Walking in the gym door, delicious smells hit me right in the nose - the turkey was already cooked, the broth and bones were being cooked down for the gravy, and the filling was being sauteed in a half-dozen skillets by a handful of my apron-clad friends. My job involved helping another lady make two big pans of cranberry relish. I don't typically like cranberry sauce, relish or anything remotely resembling it - but I did like this! It's a unique recipe that was handed down to one of the ladies in our church by her mother-in-law. Making it is, indeed, a treat - for the eyes, the nose and the mouth (I was encouraged to sample it!).

This is the original recipe as it was given to me. If I made it for a gathering, I would cut down on some of the sugar as it was a bit too sweet for me. The sugar does offset the tartness of the berries, but I think a little less would be better.

Cranberry Relish

3 oranges
3 apples
1 bag of fresh cranberries
1 qt. water
3 C. sugar
3 small boxes of strawberry Jello

Peel, core and seed TWO of the 3 oranges and TWO of the 3 apples. Cut into quarters and set aside. Core, seed and cut the last orange and apple but DON'T PEEL them. (The tiny bits of peel will add texture and beautiful color.) Add them to the other fruit and pour a bag of washed, fresh cranberries in with the apples and oranges. Blend all the fruit in a food processor until very fine. (As I was told, it can't be too fine.) Set aside. Bring the 1 qt. water to a full rolling boil. Add the sugar and stir well until dissolved. Then add the Jello and stir well until dissolved. Carefully pour the liquid mixture into the fruit, stirring well. Pour into whatever dish or bowl you like and then place in frig until firm and chilled.

No comments: