Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent

A friend recently mentioned that she's begun making her own laundry detergent successfully. You'll find the recipe she shared with me below. I mixed up a batch last night, and it was very easy to do. It's very economical - especially in comparison with the ridiculous price of laundry detergent these days!

You'll need: Ivory soap (one bar per batch), a box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and a box of 20 Mule Team Borax (both of which are in the laundry aisle at the grocery), water, a large pot and a 5 gallon bucket.

Shred a bar of soap into small pieces and place in a pot with 6 cups of water. Heat and stir until soap is dissolved. Stir in 1/2 cup of the soda and 1/2 cup of the Borax. Stir well over heat until dissolved. Remove from heat and pour into 5 gallon bucket. Add 4 more cups of hot water and stir. Add 1 gallon plus 6 C. of cold water. Mix well and let sit for 24 hours. Use 1/2 cup per load. On my recipe I noted the date I mixed this up - I want to see how long it will last me.

No comments: