Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Baking Day

Amidst the excitement of Izzy's initiation to farm life in Skunk Hollow, I did manage to get a few things baked yesterday while also creating a huge mess in the kitchen! The baked goods:

* two loaves of bread (using 1/2 of the dough)
* a dozen + cloverleaf dinner rolls (using 1/4 of the dough)
* a dozen Schoolhouse Sweet Rolls (using 1/4 of the dough) which I turned into sticky buns
* a two-layer Yellow Cake with Mocha Butter Icing

Mocha Butter Icing
2/3 C. softened butter
6 C. 10X sugar
4 tsp. instant coffee dissolved in 1/4 C. of hot water
Blend butter and sugar thoroughly. Mix in coffee. (I had to add a bit more water to thin the icing a little more.)

Notes on icing: The original recipe was only 1/2 of these amounts which would probably have been enough icing for a 13x9 cake. Since I did a layer cake, I doubled the recipe and had a bit extra than what I needed. Also, the yellow cake with the mocha icing is delicious, but I think it would be even better spread on a chocolate cake. A definite plan for the future!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are really making good use of instant coffee lately! It is good on chocolate cake.