Thursday, May 28, 2009

Faithful and Obedient

"Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans. So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, ""Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.""

- Mark 12:41-44

Randy Alcorn was the speaker on the radio program "Revive Our Hearts" with Nancy Leigh DeMoss yesterday afternoon. He made a comment about these verses that really encouraged my heart. He mentioned that this poor widow would have had no idea that her act of sacrificial giving would have been an example spoken of 2,000 years later. It made me think about the fact that this woman wasn't doing anything fancy or showy in service to God - she was just being faithful and obedient. The reason it encouraged my heart was because I sometimes feel discouraged about my service to the Lord. I feel as if I'm not doing much for the Kingdom. These verses and Pastor Alcorn's comment reminded me to simply be obedient and faithful in the little opportunities that God brings my way each and every day. I don't know, nor need to know, the impact I'm making for eternity - it's enough that God does. I just want to be obedient in that which He lays in front of my face - even in the most mundane and simple of tasks.

No comments: